?

Log in

Magical Maeve's Meaningless Musings

> recent entries
> calendar
> friends
> My Website
> profile
> previous 20 entries

Friday, July 20th, 2007
10:46 am - Media
If I hear one more effing talking-head on TV bitching/whinging/moaning about how adults have been juvenalised by Harry Potter I will effing kill someone. It makes me so mad to hear journalists who normally I respect shake their heads that adults can read and *gaspshockdie* enjoy childrens' fictions.

They seem to think that ordinary, intelligent adults should completely ignore childrens' fiction because, by definition, it must be shallow and simplistic. How dare thay! Some of the best fiction, some of the most imaginitive and fun, can be found in the childrens' section at Waterstones. I am eagerly awaiting the new Cat Royal book, and the new Julie Hearne. I think Michael Morpurgo is a fabulous writer and one of the best pieces of fiction I have read lately was the Last Unicorn, which I read to my daughter and we were both emotional wrecks by the end of it. Where is it written that adults must stop reading fiction that marketing men deem as innapropriate. Does this mean that we feed our children a diet of literary tripe?

I am currently reading a biography of Lord Hervey, The Kill by Emile Zola, and am awaiting the new Harry Potter as eagerly as any child. Do we have to prostrate ourselves at the feet of the god of seriousness and intellect and worship only him in order to be considered an adult? And why shouldn't we read the books our children are reading? What better way to stay connected to them. We live in an age were I don't believe we pay enough attention to our kids, so taking an interest in children's lit has to be a good thing. The fact that we can enjoy it too is a bonus. And Harry Potter has brought me into contact with so many bright young minds, so many exciting and fun young people, that I think I benefit so much.

I can be a grown up when it matters. I'm a good parent, an efficient employee, a well-mannered, well-rounded adult member of society - but that doesn't mean I have to give up the pleasures of being young.

Does anyone comment on the blokes getting drunk down the pub every night? Do the media call them childish and immature. No. Because that's, apparently, a grown up thing to do.

Well forgive me, Jeremy Vine and your ilk, if I stand in a queue at midnight minding my own business just to take part in something so childish and immature as buying a bloody book. How utterly foolish and ridiculous of me. I should be pilloried for it.

Tell me, media types, what have you done to help literacy among the young? I mean really help, not just promote literacy schemes? Because I have. And I'm bloody proud of my connection with Harry Potter and Fanfic and the way that has helped me be a better writer and in turn allowed me to help others. Because looking at a lot of things that get submitted, schools aren't doing a great job with literacy. Simple mechanics are often lacking.

Harry Potter, if nothing else, has turned out people who, when they come to write a CV, will do it properly. It's given people a creative outlet that will benefit them in real terms. It's prompted the biggest fandom there is (Google search statistics). It's prompted a whole world of happiness, and if you don't get that at least allow the rest of us the pleasure of it without being patronised as child!adults or looked down upon as being an inferior species.

Intellectual snobbery pisses me off.

I am so angry right now.

current mood: annoyed

(1 comment | comment on this)

Wednesday, June 6th, 2007
8:53 pm - More musical theatre musings
And you know what... They keep going on throughout Any Dream Will Do about the voice not being the sole consideration.

Well...it is.

Having been through a few performances of Les Mis and am now playing the anniversary concert... the close up scrutiny of TV does not translate to the theatre.

I've been in some good seats and some Gods seats for Les Mis... and sometimes I could see the acting and sometimes not... it doesn't matter.

In musical theatre the acting is done through the voice.

They can say what they want to appease TV audiences... but the voice is king.

Which leaves the final open in a way, because Keith has a chocolate voice. I don't think it can act in any way like Lee's can... but the decisoion is made via TV.

Does Lee have a voice to match Colm Wilkinson's or Ruthie Henshall's?

(2 comments | comment on this)

8:12 pm - Lee Mead and Che.
Goodness.

(This will be meaningless to those not watching Any Dream Will Do)

I watched the footage on Youtube and then put on the Evita DVD. I was wrong in an earlier chat. Lee did not out-Banderas Banderas. Banderas' performance is sublime. I would like to think that his is the performance that Lee would be giving in a year or two with the same production crew that Banderas had. (Of course Banderas has the added advantage of a natural Spanish accent)

That said, Lee was comparable, whereas Lewis was just shit. The lines he had, when compared to the Banderas version, were just hopeless, whereas Lee did a more than acceptable job. I cannot claim to have seen Evita live in the theatre so can't compare on the live stage.

And I reiterate - I want to see Lee play the gypsy in the the Virgin and the Gypsy. Dark sexuality and honour. He was born for it! LOL

As for Paint it Black. I watched a couple dance to Paint it Black on BBC's Strictly Dance fever (a superior fare to the celeb shit)and thought that they had stole the song for me. Lee stole it back.

Along with Bad Day. Daniel Powter? Daniel who?

(1 comment | comment on this)

Thursday, May 31st, 2007
11:04 pm - Yorkshire
I like to think of myself as a bit of a hard-faced bitch. I don't do emotion, although two of my current students are out to prove me wrong by way of mass hugging me and generally making me love them. However. I just spent two days in Cheshire. This is meaningless apart from the fact that last year I found out that my maternal great, great, grandmother is Cheshire through and through and so are all my maternal forebears. I discovered that they were happily agricultural Lymm residents in the 1700s and were too poor to do anything but follow the scent of the industrial revolution and go to the cotton mills.

I should know better than to let history get to me. I do history. I know that history is a harsh mistress and generally has little excitment for those who really drive her.

I spent this morning on one of the highest points in Cheshire (Beeston Castle) overlooking several counties. Laid bare before me were the enclosures; beautiful, ordered (in a slightly mish mash way) system of fields. The sun shone through clouds and distressed the grasses. The scents of early summer were everywhere. It was bliss. (and I live in the country and, begrudglingly, I concede that Cheshire in the summer is bliss).

We then went to Styal and Quarry Bank Mill. This was the closest I could come to actually seeing the journey my great, great grandmother took. She moved from Lymm agriculture to Oldham squalour, so the cotton workers at Styal were better off.. but was it an emotional trip. To see the simplicity that they endured, and I would love to be that simple, but I think for us it would be an endurance, brought me to tears. And then to see the conditions in which they worked, in which my grandmother worked (one of the last cotton mill workers on Oldham) made me feel ridiculous. We do not know danger.

Well, we do. We drove through Stockport and had to make it onto the M62. This is suicide at 4:45. In sheer need of a beer we pulled off at Rochdale (terrible childhood memories obliterated by the need for alcohol) and entered a Brewer's Fayre.

Youngest child vomited all over the carpet, doors, toilet, carpet, toilet, me.

I didn't get to eat my Choc Fudge and ice cream.

*glared at daughter all the way home from the back of the car into which I had been forced by the concerned mother gene.* (This gene involves a plastic bag to catch any further vomit and a general detached air of pissed-offness) ( This pissed-offness is further exacerbated by eldest son crowing from abandoned front seat)

So what did I gain from this? Chester Zoo has come on in leaps and bounds since I last visited fifteen years ago, and motherhood is eternal. I didn't give a fuck that the woman running the pub glared at me and didn't ask how my daugher was (I would have done had a child vomited all over my supermarket, despite heaving myself and getting someone else to clear it up).

I gained the knowledge that I am fucking lucky. My ancestors would be terrified of me because of the technology I live with, and I am terrfied for them because of the technology they had to live with. The difference is choice. I missed my forebears today. I cried quietly for them and hailed them as I fretted my way home. History matters. Where you are from matters. But home matters more. I have deep roots in Ireland and now Cheshire... but Yorkshire is the place I belong. I realised today that Yorkshire made me and that is the legacy I will pass on to my Yorkshire born children. Their roots lie in Cheshire, Oldham and Ireland, but they are Yorkshire tykes through and through. I wanted to feel connected to Cheshire and in a way I did. I discovered I could navigate effortlessy through the county without aid of a map. But bloody hell... I'm a Yorkshire lass! I'm attached to my history but I love my present. I'm a bit of flotsam, I guess, that found its beach *vomits at silly mataphor* *Vomits at smell of earlier vomit*

I would not move from Yorkshire if my life depended on it. (Well, unless Alnwick or Berwick was on offer)

current mood: content

(1 comment | comment on this)

Monday, May 21st, 2007
8:04 am - *sighs*
Proof, if proof were needed that fire is the greatest threat to our historical treasures. I was only saying to hubby yesterday (can't remember in what context) that the greatest threat the great houses face is from fire. One never thinks of ships. The Cutty Sark was, and I use the phrase guardedly, a national treasure and now it sits in dry dock, one long piece of charcoal. *sighs* They're treating it as suspicious, but the fact that it was undergoing renovation makes me think it could be another Windsor Castle. If it was vandals or people with an agenda, they should bring back burning at the stake and let them have a taste of their own medicine.

I really feel for the poor people who belong to the trust. It must be completely heartbreaking for them. Although the fact that her masts were off and half her innards removed for restoration is some small consolation.

I suspect historical properties all over the country will be reviewing their fire procedures, or at least making sure what they have works.

current mood: sad

(comment on this)

Friday, February 23rd, 2007
3:38 pm - Not Bloody mechanics
Hmm... well that was quite nice. Driving around country lanes with Sean Bean's twin brother is quite a pleasant way to pass an afternoon. Turns out the mechanic at my local garage is quite dishy, something I discovered as he took me for a drive in my car to try and establish the cause of my car's rattle.

Of course, he has no idea what the rattle is, but who cares when he's so good-looking.

*giggles*

*wonders how many visits she can squeeze out of this annying fault with her car*

<<

>>

current mood: devious

(4 comments | comment on this)

Thursday, February 22nd, 2007
6:01 pm - All Laura's Fault.
You scored as The Noose.

</td>

The Noose

63%

The Firearm

50%

The Crucifix

38%

Le Guillotine

25%

The Stake

25%

The Needle

25%

The Electric Chair

25%

The Axe

19%

What EXECUTION DEVICE are you?
created with QuizFarm.com



Although I disagree with capital punishment in any form.

current mood: relaxed

(comment on this)

3:01 pm
I only jumped online to look up something for my latest chapter and ended up being sucked into a quiz. *rolls eyes at self*



You scored as Romantic Goth. You are a romantic goth, better known as a traditional goth. You are probably quickly identified as a goth by outsiders. Black lace, bats, and moonlit cemetaries are just a few of your favorite things. Click on my name to take my other tests if you liked this one.

</td>

Romantic Goth

83%

Ethereal Goth

75%

Old-school Goth

67%

Anything-Goes Goth

58%

Understanding Outsider

58%

Fantasy Goth

50%

Death Rocker

25%

Confused Outsider

25%

Industrial/Rivet-Head

21%

Perky Goff

17%

Cyber-goth

0%

What subcategory of Goth best fits you?
created with QuizFarm.com



Still, at least it distracted me from the fact that my boiler room almost just blew up. *is having a strong cup of tea to calm nerves*

current mood: worried

(comment on this)

Monday, January 22nd, 2007
3:31 pm
QuizGalaxy!
'What will your obituary say?' at QuizGalaxy.com




Lewd behaviour? Moi? *stops thinking about hot-looking guy from work*

(1 comment | comment on this)

Thursday, January 18th, 2007
3:41 pm - Battens Down the Hatches.
Okay, wind is one thing, but enough's enough. I have just had quite possibly the second most terrifying drive of my life (the first only beat it because it was dark and beacause a tree fell onto the car in front of me and another tree then fell down in front of me and I had to swerve). The school called to tell me I would have to go the long way around because there was a huge tree down between my house and the village. Nice. So I had to drive for an extra fifteen minutes in the opposite direction (which according to hubby this morning was on the verge of being flooded - if the rain hadn't stopped this afternoon I would quite possibly have been unable to get into the village) to where I wanted to be in gale force winds with a million trees everywhere. It felt like the trees were throwing bits of themselves at the car. I think a huge branch has hit the underside of the car, but it's too windy to check it out at the moment. So I made it through the tree avenue of death onto the road back into the village via another village. This is a high road on a ridge; there was a guy in a van in front of me with something large and black strapped to the back of his vehicle that looked none too safe and then we come across a huge wagon that has been blown over and is blocking the path. By this point I am quietly having hysterics in the car wondering if I will ever see my children again. (nothing like a bit of high drama to liven up the day)

I get past the tree and am practically blown to the school, where I grab my kids, literally throw them in the car and get the hell back home. So now we're here, in a house surrounded by disgruntled trees with a gale howling around the eaves.

*gets quilt and hides underneath it and waits for storm to pass*

Even thoughts of hot-looking guy at work are no comfort at the moment. *cries*

current mood: stressed

(4 comments | comment on this)

Friday, December 22nd, 2006
4:08 pm - Delightful!
My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Grand Duchess Jan the Confused of Studley Roger
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title



I so TOTALLY am!! LOL... Loved playing around with that site.

(comment on this)

Tuesday, December 12th, 2006
2:37 pm
Hee hee... blame Rach for this....


my xmas stockingCollapse )

current mood: accomplished

(3 comments | comment on this)

Friday, December 8th, 2006
9:53 pm
Meh! I'm not screening because I only expect one person to reply! *giggles*

(2 Points) My name:
(4 Points) My last name:
(4 Points) Who am I in love with:
(1 Point) Where did we meet:
(6 Points) Take a stab at my middle name:
(1 Point) Where do I work:
(3 Point) What am I afraid of:
(2 Points) Do I smoke :
(3 Points) Do I drink:
(3 points) Do you think I'm a virgin:
(1 Point) Do I have any siblings:
(2 Points) How many:
(2 Points) What's one of my favorite things to do:
(1 Point) How many piercings do I have:
(4 Points) How many tattoos do I have:
(3 Points) What's my favorite type of music:
(4 Points) Am I shy or outgoing:
(3 Points) Am I a rebel or do I follow the rules:
(2 Points) Whats my favorite color:
(3 Points) Name something I hate:
(4 Points) Name a talent I have:
(4 Points) Whats my phone number:
(4 Points) What kind of sneakers do I wear:
(4 Points) Do I have any pets:
(2 Points) Who am I dating/or like right now:
(5 Points) How long have I been dating them:
(5 points) How tall am I:
(5 Points) What is my worst habit:
(5 Points on creativeness) If I were stranded on a desert island, what would I bring:

i'll send you your grade...

80-85 Points; Best Friend.
70-79 Points; Great Friend.
40-69 Points; Friend.
20-39 Points; You should hang out with me more! Ask me when.
00-19 Points; Either you're a crappy friend, or you're a new friend!

(comment on this)

8:32 pm - *sighs*
I'm normally an upbeat person but I'm going to take a moment to be sad.

I never write poems about R/L stuff. (Or not R/L stuff, as most of my life is to anyone normal) But I had to write this and did so a few days ago.

What would I say if you stood before me,
Burdened by your loss?
Could I have saved your needless
Death from marring my future?

Did you fall willingly
Or in the grip
Of some dark demon
Possessing
Grasping
Needing?

Had I stepped between you and the veil would
It have mattered
At all?
Would you have pushed me from your destiny
And continued regardless
Into that dead place, unheeding my cries?

My heart weeps inwardly and my flesh is gripped by the need,
The ever present need,
To have you with me, by my side.
My soul is ripped internally by your loss
Unrepairable in this world or beyond
By nothing less than you.

And yet you fell, are falling,
Continuing on your journey alone.
My world clouds and darkens
About me, and leaves me a pauper.
For without the Dog Star all is dim
And forever Winter.

And the snow melts on my eyelids.



*sighs* You can't always have what you want because it flies in the face of all physical possibilty and mortality. I think Laura will probably guess who this is about. Just because someone is long dead doesn't mean you can't feel them as much as if they were alive. Plane tickets can be bought for a few hundred pounds, but you can't buy a ticket to the past. If it makes you miserable enough, and money is the only object, beg or borrow, because you never know when money won't be enough to get you your heart's desire.

current mood: melancholy

(2 comments | comment on this)

Thursday, December 7th, 2006
12:28 pm - Waiting for the pain to start.
Eating Heinz chicken soup is no fun when half of your mouth is numb and you have a bleeding tooth. *sobs* On the plus side, the gold tooth of doom is gone from my mouth and I'm hoping it will cure the bad taste syndrome I've been experiencing recently.

And I have a ton of fics to mod. The MNFF glitch struck again and despite me telling the site in no uncertain terms to let me see the Winter's Tales entries, it didn't, so they were backed up a few days (Ten. Eek). So keep your eyes peeled for some nice Christmassy fics on MNFF in the next few days. I'm also going to try and do my SPEW reviews and catch up on the editing I have outstanding. If I plead a sore jaw, hubby can hardly complain if I don;t want to move from the sofa.

*Winces as a piece of chicken floats too close to the place where a tooth used to be*

current mood: numb

(comment on this)

Tuesday, December 5th, 2006
2:49 pm
What Kind of Reader Are You?
Your Result: Obsessive-Compulsive Bookworm

You're probably in the final stages of a Ph.D. or otherwise finding a way to make your living out of reading. You are one of the literati. Other people's grammatical mistakes make you insane.

Dedicated Reader
Book Snob
Literate Good Citizen
Non-Reader
Fad Reader
What Kind of Reader Are You?
Create Your Own Quiz



Moi.... obsessive-compulsive?? I think not. *giggles at the fact this quiz thinks she is one of the literati*

current mood: chipper

(comment on this)

Friday, December 1st, 2006
7:58 pm
Meh! Gary is teh naughty boy! I'm now watching the Belfast gig on BBC3 and he is singing with an Irish accent!

(1 comment | comment on this)

Monday, November 27th, 2006
3:52 pm
*realises that she should really check for typos before posting to journal*

*rolls eyes*

(comment on this)

Thursday, November 23rd, 2006
9:23 am
Apart from the fact that this is suggesting I am slightly insane and on medication... this didn't surprise me much. I've read tarot for a long time and the moon has always been my card. *smug*


You are The Moon


Hope, expectation, Bright promises.


The Moon is a card of magic and mystery - when prominent you know that nothing is as it seems, particularly when it concerns relationships. All logic is thrown out the window.


The Moon is all about visions and illusions, madness, genius and poetry. This is a card that has to do with sleep, and so with both dreams and nightmares. It is a scary card in that it warns that there might be hidden enemies, tricks and falsehoods. But it should also be remembered that this is a card of great creativity, of powerful magic, primal feelings and intuition. You may be going through a time of emotional and mental trial; if you have any past mental problems, you must be vigilant in taking your medication but avoid drugs or alcohol, as abuse of either will cause them irreparable damage. This time however, can also result in great creativity, psychic powers, visions and insight. You can and should trust your intuition.


What Tarot Card are You?
Take the Test to Find Out.

(1 comment | comment on this)

Monday, November 20th, 2006
8:13 am

Your Slanguage Profile

British Slang: 75%
Victorian Slang: 75%
Aussie Slang: 50%
Canadian Slang: 50%
Prison Slang: 50%
Southern Slang: 25%
New England Slang: 0%




No surprises there then! LOL

(1 comment | comment on this)

> previous 20 entries
> top of page
LiveJournal.com